Re: Sky plus help

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Richard wrote:
> Thinking of biting the bullet and getting sky plus (already have sky
> digital) I'm guessing a few people on this list have it already so do
you
> think the following is feasible

Good man :)

> Buy sky plus box second hand (ebay) - upgrade the drive myself
> Get a local installer to upgrade the LNB ?
> Just get sky to upgrade my subscription
> Is this possible or will sky insist on selling me the box and
installing the
> LNB ?

Very feasible. They won't sell you anything if you don't want them to.

> Also do you know if I can use the record (not scheduled) or pause tv
on sky
> plus without subscribing

No, you need to subscribe. A tenner a month on top of your usual
subscription unless you take more than one premium channel (i.e. Sky
Movies 1 + 2), then it is free.

If you don't want to buy second-hand the best offers are normally at the
sky.com website. Current offer is 149 + multiroom at a tenner a month,
minimum 12 months. Unfortunately the 99 quid refurb deal is no more, but
keep your eye on the Sky + forum at www.digitalspy.co.uk for the latest
news (no connection etc just a personal recommendation).

> Is it feasible to change the LNB myself ?

It's very easy to do, unscrew and fit.

Maccy