Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: CurrentCost external install

Re: Extend volume control for active speakers and Kiosk earthing.

  • Subject: Re: Extend volume control for active speakers and Kiosk earthing.
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:14:54 -0000

Hi Keith

I guess my question about an earth on the PC was that it will be
connected to other devices that could introduce mains voltage due to
a fault. Ethernet, Telephone, the active speakers. I am happy that
the PC has no mains present in normal operation, just wondering if it
was a good precaution really.

Thanks for the advice on the 10k in line log pot, I will give that a
try.

Many Thanks
Ian

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> As you are using the ITX PSU there is no mains connectd to the
Kiosk

wrote:
> > Hi All, I hope someone can help.
> >
> > I have bough some small active speakers to use with the kisok PC
in
> > the kitchen. They have a volume control on the rear and will be
> > mouted on top of the cabinets out of reach. I want to move the
> volume
> > control about 1.5m away so that it is placed beside the PC.
> >
> > I have the skills to take the dual pot off the PCB and extend it
> with
> > some wire to a new location but I am not sure if this is ok to do
> or
> > not. Obviosuly there is some additional resistance in the extra
> wire
> > but they are 50k pots so nothing that should cause too much of an
> > issue if I use a reasonable gauge wire.
> >
> > Any reason I should not do this? Should I ensure that the remote
> pot
> > and Kiosk PC case are properly earthed? I am using a silent ITX
PSU