Latest message you have seen: Re: CurrentCost external install

Extend volume control for active speakers and Kiosk earthing.

  • Subject: Extend volume control for active speakers and Kiosk earthing.
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:36:51 -0000

Hi All, I hope someone can help.

I have bough some small active speakers to use with the kisok PC in
the kitchen. They have a volume control on the rear and will be
mouted on top of the cabinets out of reach. I want to move the volume
control about 1.5m away so that it is placed beside the PC.

I have the skills to take the dual pot off the PCB and extend it with
some wire to a new location but I am not sure if this is ok to do or
not. Obviosuly there is some additional resistance in the extra wire
but they are 50k pots so nothing that should cause too much of an
issue if I use a reasonable gauge wire.

Any reason I should not do this? Should I ensure that the remote pot
and Kiosk PC case are properly earthed? I am using a silent ITX PSU
so the Kiosk chassis currently has no earth connection and I will
have it installed in the kitchen, I assume it makes sense to connect
the casing to a good earth.

Thanks in advance.

Ian