Latest message you have seen: Are the 'KeyStone' Modular patch systems standard?

Re: Bath level sensor

  • Subject: Re: Bath level sensor
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:10:12 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mike Griffiths" <mikegriff@e...>
wrote:
> Does anyone know of a reliable Bath level sensor

Before comitting, have a drool at the ESS-TUB product from odine, at
http://www.interbath.com/ondine/ess.htm.
 Their fill mechanism is
just a timer, which you set at installation.  And if my memory
serves there is a spare serial port on the control box...

The other company that did baths automatically was Kohler, who had
the autofill feature, but last I looked they no longer supplied this
thing.

The way I would approach it is the same as a washing machine.
Automate the bath drain so you no longer have plug.  Use a washing
machine pressure sensor plumbed into the drain, before the dain
cock, obviously :-), and set it for the depth of water you want.  If
you want to be flash you could use a pressure sensor, and know how
deep the bath is, allowing for different size bodies....

Finally, and you already know this, water plus electricity can equal
trouble, use RCD supplied power, and I would recommend relay or opto-
isolation to the rest of the house control system.

I came across a scary story on usenet somewhere about someone whose
bath drain was not earth bonded, but the taps on the wall were, and
when he stuck his toe on the taps got a gentle tingle.  Of course,
should a fault develop somewhere (and not necessarily in his house)
he would probably die...