Re: 160gb drive seen as 127gb - under windows 2k

As we've said before, the 137Gb and 128Gb numbers are the reuslt of
different definitions of a Gb.  However, they both correspond to the
same physical size of disk.

You are probably right that it is a motherboard issue that is preventing
you from using the rest of the disk, though

Mal

Stephen wrote:

>U> That's probably not the problem here...
>
>U> all fairly modern bios's understand 48lba, it's Win2K &  XP
that natively
>U> don't until you install SP3/4 for 2K or SP1 for XP.
>
>U> The catch22 is that you can't (unless you've built a slipstreamed
CD)
>U> install the SP until you've installed Windows, by which time it's
too
>U> late...
>
>U> So just partition what you can, install Windows, install the SP,
then use
>U> Partition Magic etc to pick up the rest of the space...
>
>I think I have found the problem... but not the fix ;(
>
>I read the mobo manual. It has raid built-in. It says that raid will
support
>discs up to 128gb. The windows limit is I believe 137gb, not 128gb. If
this
>was the windows problem, it should report them as 137gb not 128gb. I
now think
>it is the raid drivers causing this problem. Although the drives are
IDE ATA,