SW10G - X10 Shutter Switch

  • Subject: SW10G - X10 Shutter Switch
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:53:21 +0100

I'm tearing my hair out with this one...

I have a SW10G (http://www.letsautomate.com/10337.cfm?)
which I use to
control an electric window in my galleried hall (Its up high!) but a short
while ago it went tits-up.com and locked in the open position. A little
investigation found that the SW10G was sending 240v to both the 'up' and
the
'down' outputs simultaneously so not surprisingly the motor was going
nowhere fast! Disconnecting the up wire then proceeded to close the window.

Thanks to those very nice people at Lets Automate (www.letsautomate.com
<http://www.letsautomate.com/> )
(Shameless plug) the SW10G was swapped
under warranty within 48 hours (Shameless Plug Mk2). So yesterday I wired
the new switch back up and flicked the power back on only to find that the
first thing it did was open the window as far as it would go. I then tried
to close it and it went nowhere! A little testing with a voltmeter showed
that there was 240v at the 'up' output permanently. Pressing the down
button
resulted in 240v at the 'down' output BUT still with 240v at the 'up'
output
and hence nothing happened.

My first thoughts were that it was perhaps sensing an x-10 open command
hence the permanent 240v at 'up' but firstly I don't actually have any x-10
and trying EVERY house code on the unit yielded the same results. Then I
decided that perhaps the fault was with the window motor but wiring it up
with a standard momentary two way switch proved that the motor is fine.

So do I have another faulty unit or am I doing sumin wrong. Don't want to
send the SW10G back to LA if its just me being a dumb arse!

As a last resort does anyone know of a replacement switch (Does not have to
be X-10) that allows the ability to learn and memorise the length of time
it
needs for open and close (This is the only function I use the SW10G for,
although I intended to use the x-10 one day.) without having to stand there
and hold the open or close button like a lemon waiting for the window to
open/close.

Oh bother, how much do I wish I had wired this motor back to a c-bus relay,
then it all would have been simple!

Many thanks in advance.

Rob