Re: Networking causing hair removal

  • Subject: Re: Networking causing hair removal
  • From: "seniorsimon" <simon.ryley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:03:28 -0000

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I should have put more info in the email.

Machine 1 is a XP home desktop, plugged into a Netgear DG834G combo
unit, that handles ADSL modem, firewall, 4 port router and 802.11g
wireless networking.  The desktop has a 10Mb Ethernet card.

Machine 2 is Win 2k laptop, with a Netgear 802.11g usb wireless
adapter plugged in.

Both machines can talk to the router, both can access the web
simultaneously through the router.

The router is running DHCP and NAT.

Both machines are on the same workgroup and can ping each other and
the router.  They can happily lease an IP from the router, which is
set to IP 192.168.0.1

Both machines have TCP/IP, Netbios and IPX installed.

XP machine can browse the workgroup, but can only see itself on the
workgroup.

Win2k machine can browse the workgroup, can see both machines, but
can't access the desktop XP machine.

With just TCP/IP neither machine could see the other through the
workgroup.  With IPX and NetBios, the Win2k machine could see the
desktop but not access it.

Both machines have File and Printer sharing installed and have
shares.

I tried to use the network setup disk on the XP machine, only to
discover the floppy drive is bust.

>From reading the help files, XP has at least basic networking
included for home use, but not enterprise level functionality.

That's about as far as I got.

Thanks,

Simon

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...>
wrote:
> Simon,
>
> You don't need a tutorial or any of that stuff, - they guys on here
will
> sort it out... :-)
>
> Lets start from first principles...
>
> BTW, - I obviously don't know your level of experience/competence,
so
> apologies in advance if I'm teaching you to suck eggs....
>
> Firstly, make sure that the network hardware is working correctly
on each
> machine, - go the device manager (My Computer, properties, hardware
tab,
> then device manager button). Check under "Network Adapters"
and
make sure
> that it is configured and working.
>
> Then check your cabling, - check that each network card in each
machine has
> a link LED  on when you connect the cable to it. (usually this is
green). As
> soon as you insert the RJ45 plug an LED should come on on the card,
and if
> you are using a hub/switch the link LED should come on at the
appropriate
> port there as well...
>
> Then, on each machine, configure the network settings how you want
them...
> pick a protocol, and just use that one... - If you want to browse
the 'net
> you're going to have to have TCP/IP, so I'd recommend that you use
that
> protocol, - and ONLY that protocol. If you have others installed,
(IPX/SPX
> or NetBEUI) then remove them..
>
> Once you have TCP/IP installed on both machines, (and no other
> protocols),the set about configuring the IP stack... Pick an IP
address
> range, - you may already have done this, - do you have a router of
any
> description on your LAN? - if so this will have come factory set to
a defaul
> address, which commonly is 192.168.0.1 - but this will obviously
depend on
> what, if anything you have got...
> Use one of the private address ranges as defined by RFC1918, which
are:
> 10.0.0.0 --- 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
> 172.16.0.0 --- 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
> 192.168.0.0 --- 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)
>
> On each machine, open up the TCP/IP Properties and set the
following
> configuration:
> Option 1: IF you have a router which is a DHCP server, set the IP
address
> option to "Obtain IP address automatically", and also set
the DNS
option to
> "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
>
> Option 1: IF you DON't have a DHCP service on your LAN, (or if you
tried
> option 1 and it didn't work), then set everything manually...
> On machine 1, set the IP address to 192.168.0.1, and the subnet
mask to
> 255.255.0.0
> On machine 2 set tyhe IP address to 192.168.0.2 and the subnet mask
> 255.255.0.0
>
> For now, don't set any of the other options....
>
> Once done, confirm the settings on each machine thus:
>
> Open a command prompt, and type IPCONFIG /ALL <return>
> Confirm that the resultant display looks at least vaguely like
this...

> Windows IP Configuration
>
>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR COMPUTER NAME HERE
>         Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
>

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . ..... . . . : Realtek
RTL8139/810x Family
> Fast Ethernet NIC
>         Physical Address. . . . ... . . . . : 00-E0-4C-FB-03-31
>         Dhcp Enabled. . . . . .. . . . . . : No
>         IP Address. . . . . . . . .... . . . : 192.168.0.1
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . .. . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
>

> Then, try to PING each machine from the other... on machine 1
(which is
> address 192.168.0.1), open a command prompt and type: PING
192.168.0.2
> <return>
> you will see 5 lines of either:
> Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
> or...
> Request timed out.
> Repeat this test from machine 2, but using the IP address of
machine 1 in
> this case (i.e. PING 192.168.0.1)
>
> Assuming in each case you see the "Replay from..." response,
then
your basic