Re: Network probs

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 04:57:06PM +0100, Nick Shore wrote:

> > Is it possible that the switch isn't compatible with the router?
> >

> It could be an autonegotiation speed problem, sometimes you get one
end at
> 100 full duplex whilst
> the other is at 100 half duplex, which can cause this sort of thing.
>
> If possible try setting one of the ports to 100 full rather than
letting
> them autoneg (this may not be possible on this level of kit)

I was going to suggest that too, does the new router have a hub or a switch
built in? If it's a hub then chances are it might not autonegotiate full
duplex properly.

I have a Netgear switch in the living room, and that manages to
autonegotiate witht eh half duplex hub upstairs, so I would guess the
problem lies with your el-cheapo switch, if older Netgear kit manages OK, I
would guess the newer stuff does too.

--

-S