Re: RF 433MHz temperature/weather sensor receiver for the PC.

  • Subject: Re: RF 433MHz temperature/weather sensor receiver for the PC.
  • From: "Simon Allen" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:35:59 -0000

> So with one of these I could have my heating switch on based on the
outside
> air temp?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I wouldn't recommend using any
closed loop control system when one leg of the loop is one way RF.

Consider the consequences of a data drop out?  433MHz band is a
shared band remember so subject to occasional interference.

I would have no problem with using it as a secondary monitoring
and/or alarm system, but if used with active control then you'd need
to carefully consider the overall system design.

There are things that would assist you like received signal level.
And your control software on the PC could react failsafe if a
prolonged data drop out were detected.

In many ways, the system design decisions are like that of X10, which
is also a one way protocol (standard, not pro) and prone to
occasional interference where a command just won't get thru.  But
nevertheless, x10 is still popular despite it's short comings as it's
relatively cheap and simple to install, which is what the wireless
data receiver will be.

Simon.