OT (ish): LV Halogen Kit Tripping MCB

  • Subject: OT (ish): LV Halogen Kit Tripping MCB
  • From: "davidsussmanuk" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:01:45 -0000

Not strictly HA, but you lot here seem to be the font of all
knowledge lighting wise.

A long time ago I bought a Screwfix Flex 5 spot Halogen kit, which
I've only just got around to fitting. When the light is switched on
the breaker trips. After 5 days (long story) I've now worked out
that it's not my dodgy wiring, but the light itself. My brother
suggests it's the transformer, momentarily drawing more than 6A and
thus the trip. It seems it's not a soft-start transformer (why oh
why don't these get sold with a large warning).

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Some sort of surge
suppressor I can fit just before the light. Someone else has
suggested a transformer, but I'm wary it'll be noisy. Or am I doomed
to pulling the damn thing down, filling in all those holes I've
drilled and buying a whole new light?

Thanks

Dave

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha