From: David Buckley [mailto:db@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 27 April 2004 00:43
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: WiFi Woes :(

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tony Butler" <lists@a...> wrote:
> Can't see how/why it might have shifted to a different IP -
> anyone know of a something I can use to "sniff" my network
> try to find it?

First try the factory default address.

Otherwise, I think you'll have to "scan" your network, rather
than "sniff" it.

Find a copy of superscan 3, and first of all use it to scan
192.168.1.x, which is where you think the thing is.  If that doesnt
find it, set your IP address to 0.0.0.1, subnet mask to 128.0.0.0,
and scan from 0.0.0.1 to 255.255.255.254, with the lowest ping time,
which will take hours.  If that doesnt find it then you've got a
bigger problem.  You need to change your IP address and subnet mask
to ensure that you are on the same subnet as the router, no matter
what its changed its IP address to.

What you really need for this job is not an IP scanner but an arp
scanner with promiscuous reply receive, which will remove the need
to change your IP address, but I haven't found a ARP scanner yet.

I've had enormous problems with several manufacturers of low cost
kit, which is how (amongst other foopahs) I ended up with four
WAP11s, until I noted that they just lost their IP address setting,
but still worked, and if I scanned for them they could be found.
I've got one on my wlan now that has gone awol managerially, but
still seems to work fine.

At one point I swore I would never buy LinkSys again, but I've now
got one of their 54g WAP units, and so far its been fine.  LinkSys
are no better or worse than Belkin, or NetGear, or SMC, all of which
I use of have used or am using.  All this "consumer" kit is
cheap,
its a bit rough and ready, but its cheap, and I get what I'm
prepared to pay for...

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha