RE: Bed Detection

I would think the best way to do this would still be with PIR's or
even ultrasonic - perhaps located more carefully to avoid triggering by
movement in the bed. Or perhaps even a break beam detector or two. If you
have carpets then pressure pads at the edge of the bed might be a good
solution too.
I did look at some pressure transducers a while back - these were
fairly professional devices requiring affixing with a special glue compound
under the point of contact of a load, for example the bed leg or in my case
a sofa. I was looking at occupancy detection including when someone went to
sleep on a sofa. These would be good to tell if someone was in bed however
am not sure if they would be relaible or even capable of consistently
detecting when one person got out of a double bed but not tripping when
somebody turned over or...   These devices are the type used on the decks
of
yachts as alarm sensors.