Latest message you have seen: Fw: Most wife-friendly use of HA?

Scart switching problem

  • Subject: Scart switching problem
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:31:17 +0100

I have the following -

A TV with two scart inputs
A Philips Freeview STB with a scart input and a scart output
A VCR with a scart input and a scart output
A new DVD player with a scart output

Currently the VCR is wired to a scart on the STB and then this is wired
to the TV. This works *very* well as we can record from the Philips box
and also when the VCR is on play the STB modulated this signal so we
get it all over the house (UHF splitter is on the UHF output of the
STB).

I tried wiring the DVD to the scart input of the VCR but can't find any
way to get the STB to "see" this signal. It obviously needs the
"I'm
playing" signal and the VCR only generates this when it's playing.

I'm considering fitting a scart switch to the input of the STB to
select between VCR and DVD. But unless we remember to set this
correctly the VCR won't be able to record Freeview.

So what I think I want (and might have to build!) is a cable/box that -
1) Always feeds the output of the STB to the VCR
2) Detects whether the VCR or DVD is playing and automatically selects
between them and then sends this (and the playing signal) to the STB.

Ideas?

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha