Re: Telephone wiring question : Max REN Count

  • Subject: Re: Telephone wiring question : Max REN Count
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:09:06 -0000

> I have seen something that has a REN of less than 1 marked on it
but I cant
> remember what it was, I have also seen Fax machines with a REN of 3.
>
> Depending on what phones you have then adjusting the ringer volume
can also
> affect the REN. For example, the old BT Viscount phone used less
current
> from the line at lower volume settings and presented no load to the
bell
> wire when switched off.
>
> If you have a phone that was DESIGNED for the UK 3 wire system then
by NOT
> connecting terminal 3 in the socket will leave its ringer
disconnected from
> the line and it will have a REN of "0".
>
> Generally speaking, if a phone is self-contained then its ringer is
totally
> powered from the line so it affects the REN rating. If a phone is
powered
> from an external power supply then it will probably have little
effect on
> the REN as it only needs to detect ringing. The actual ringing
device is
> probably powered from the power supply.
>
> You can often get away with a REN of 6 without too much trouble.
You wont do
> any harm by adding too many phones... they just wont ring properly.
> Disconnect any ringers you dont need.
>
> HTH
>
> Keith

Thanks Keith, it sounds like I will not have an issue, does the REN
count only impact the current needed to make the phones ring? I was
more concerned about possible impact on the ADSL signal from having
many devices connected.

Many Thanks
Ian

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha