RE: Re: [OT] - HELP PLEASE we've been hacked.

  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] - HELP PLEASE we've been hacked.
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:02:27 +0100

Hi Dean

Just had an idea.... might be wacky... might be good.

Instead of the outward facing servers being in a DMZ, put them in a
"TDZ" -
Totally different zone !!!

Assuming you are just using a broadband connection for the internet, what
about the possibility of a second DSL line.

The existing line can be used for the office and secured through a totally
closed (to incoming obviously!) firewall.

The new second line could be used exclusively for the public facing
servers,
again firewalled with only the required ports open thus minimising ways in
BUT even if there is a security breach, only the external servers would be
affected as they would have no direct connection to your office LAN. In
fact, for your office machines to access them you would have to leave the
safety of your office, go via the WWW and back in on the other line.

The external servers could be rebuilt from scratch and Ghosted so that a
rebuild was quick and easy if they did get hit.

.... then again I could be talking total b*ll*cks !

Keith

which
> there shouldn't be!
>
> Maybe I misunderstood the original idea?
>

> Ali

certifications
> > from people like checkpoint, and get your systems checked out.
> >
> > Advice from a list like this simply cannot compare to building a
> > relationship with an IT supplier you can trust and getting some
expert
> > backup.
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> > UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
> > http://www.ukha2004.com
> >
> > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
> >
> > Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha
Yahoo! Groups Links