Re: Old PC PSU as power supply for VFD

  • Subject: Re: Old PC PSU as power supply for VFD
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:08:29 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@s...> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 09:18:23PM +0100, UKHA wrote:
> > The +5V is the standby power that is used when the PC is switched
off -
> > remember the non-latched on button???
> > I'd check what ampage this can supply vs. what the VFD needs, I'd
guess it
> > should be OK, but best to check...
>
> It powered it long enough to take some photo's of the self test,
and for me to swear lots at the spec sheet because it made me buy the
wrong connector.

> :-)

A PC power supply is overkill for a VFD in terms of the current drawn
by a single VFD, not to mention huge! If you happen to have a spare
wall-wart which outputs more than 6.5V or so, you can knock up a
simple regulated power supply in about five minuts for less than the
cost of a pint, using a 78L05 voltage regulator and a couple of
capacitors.

Patrick