Re: USB extenders

  • Subject: Re: USB extenders
  • From: "egelbeertje" <r_d_k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 08:57:27 -0000

Hmmmmm

nice one. No experience though with Ipaq's, can you load standard Win
application on it or does it need a special flavor ?

rgds Rob

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tawn, Jonathan"
<jonathan.tawn@j...>
wrote:
> What about:
>
> Using an ipaq (then you could if needed add a web-browser ... other
software
> (xlobby etc)) there is some hardware instructions to build an 'ir
extender'
> for the ipaq (although havent ever used it)
>
> The case would come off of one of those easily enough ... it all
comes in a
> neat little package too...
>
> That way you'd only need perhaps just one cat5 cable + power.
>
> Just an idea mind.
>

> Jonathan Tawn
> EDS Desktop Services.

small
> tft
> 		touchscreens (which will require some additional
cabling -
> (when is
> 		the rule "put twice as much and then add some"
> expiring...??) I was
> 		figuring that if I can get the vga or s-video to the
> monitor, the
> 		touch screen is not going to do a lot if you don't
connect
> the usb
> 		driven touschscreen overlay back to the pc - so more
cabling
> needed -
> 		unfortunately USB limits are what ? 5 or 6 meters.
> 		So that made me look for ways to extend that.
> 		Anybody experience with this kind of things ? see
link.

> 		http://www.royaldevice.com/custom2.htm
>
> 		As an alternative I was looking into aquiring some 1st
> generation
> 		pronto's and try to walmount them by stripping the
case and
> somehow
> 		re-encase them in the wall - they would then drive
the lot
> via wired
> 		IR with the limitation of no visual feedback (but a
lot
> cheaper than
> 		Xantech touch panels. Somebody tried that before ?
>
> 		rgds,
> 		Rob.

> This e-mail:
>
> is not contractual nor shall it be taken to create any legal
> relations, contractual or otherwise.
>
> represents the personal views of the author / sender. The
> author / sender has no authority or delegation to bind The
> Department for Work and Pensions by this e-mail and The
> Department for Work and Pensions accepts no
> responsibility whatsoever for its contents.
>
> is communicated in confidence.  It is intended for the
> recipient only and may not be disclosed further without
> the express consent of the sender.

> are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify
> the system manager.
>
> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept
by

> www.mimesweeper.com

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha