[OT] Re: Building CCTV Server - GeoVision

The GeoVision looks good.

I have a Falcon Quattro from IDS Imaging (http://www.ids-
imaging.de).  The UK supplier is EMS in Leicester.

It gives me up to 16 cameras, multiplexed across the four capture=20
chips.  I currently have seven cameras.  Not being willing to pay=20
>=A3500 for the related iGuard software, I have gone DIY....

One VB .NET application runs as a Windows Service.  It monitors the=20
opto-coupled inputs to the card, which are fed from external PIRs=20
around the house.  When a PIR detects movement, the software=20
captures images (frame grabbed as bitmaps) from all appropriate=20
cameras.

A second VB .NET application can look at those grabbed files and=20
builds a tree view (explorer style) display of all
"events".=20=20
Selecting one of these events then shows the first stored image from=20
all related cameras.  The "play" function moves forward through
the=20
captured bitmaps to give a video effect.

The whole lot runs on a 1Ghz Athlon box, with 512Mb of RAM and two=20
72Gb disks configured as RAID-0 to get decent write speeds.  On=20
average, with three cameras recording the software manages 30=20
captures per second from each camera.

Our local plod has had some success with catching troublemakers from=20
the estate following provision of captured images.

A web interface (ASP .NET) allows limited access to the last 20=20
events.  I'm not really happy with the quality of that development=20
yet but, if anybody wants a peek, e/mail me off-list for the URL.

I guess after all that waffle, I should have a question.  It is has=20
anyone done any comparison of Falcon with GeoVision.  When we move,=20
I need to decide whether the Falcon comes too!

Nick

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha=20