Re: ADSL router

Pankaj Dhokia wrote:

> One better feature on the Vigor is the USB print server. Anything
else? I'm
> not going to be using VPN much, but I would like to access the home
net from
> outside. Would one handle that better than the other?

As I've said before, if you have a modicum of control over the machines
you will be accessing your home network from, you'd be best VPNing into
your home network and accessing services that way, rather than publicly
exposing them.

If someone portscans your IP address and finds that a VPN connection
exists, yes they might try to attack it, but if they scan  and find an
SSH server, an IMAP server, an SMTP server a POP3 server and 3 Web
servers, I'd think they'd be a bit more interested in poking around. The
more services you publicly expose, the greater the chance of one of them
having a weakness that might be exploitable by an attacker.

The Vigor itself supports teleworker VPN (what you'd normally use from
work etc to connect to home LAN) with minimal box ticking, username and
password setup, the Netgear would require you to run VPN on an internal
server and would pass that through to it.

Cheers
--
Doogie

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha