Media-Touchscreen PC

I'm looking for something to go in the kitchen - thinking along the lines
of a 15" wall
mounted touchscreen connected to a PC the other side of the wall. I'd like
to get it
interfaced to CBus (via Kevin Hawkins xap-Cbus gizmo) as well as using a TV
tuner
(possibly an external one, like http://tinyurl.com/22bf3) and be able
to play video from
the server on my LAN.

Is linux a good choice for this, and if so, does anybody have any
recommendations for
which distro? I'm happy to tinker - having been a unix sysadmin in a former
life.

I also plan on having diskless (silent mini-ITX or even nano-ITX if they
hurry up and ship
them) linux PCs around the house, so would prefer a single distro that I'd
use everywhere,
so one machine can be the master and do all the kernel tuning compilations
etc.

TIA!
Paul