Re: Office Mp3 streaming

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Office Mp3 streaming
  • From: "Mark Harrison \(Yahoo!\)" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:31:49 +0100

I use the videolan client in "multicast" mode to stream
synchronised audio
(and sometimes video).

Works very well, and because it's properly multicast, it doesn't eat up
bandwidth.

BTW, on the subject of headphones, there's a certain trap that your company
may just have fallen into.

If they have told you that you can't use headphones, but CAN use speakers
play music, then they are legally obliged to get a PRS licence for the
office. This is because this licence is required by any business that
provides music, or music replay equipment to staff.

The normal way that clever companies get round this is to NEVER mention
anything about music replay in their policies.

They can then claim that they are not providing music equipment.  They are
providing COMPUTER equipment for the sole purpose of work. The fact that
the
computer equipment comes, out of the box, with other functionality is
immaterial. Companies are NOT obliged to monitor whether computers are used
for such unauthorised purposes :-)

However, by issuing a policy about what music replay is acceptable, even
verbally, they have admitted that music replay equipment is provided....
hence a licence is required :-)

That, at least, was the way that our lawyers explained it to me....

M.