RE: Cable & ADSL in one network

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cable & ADSL in one network
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:24:18 +0100

Why not just setup both interfaces to route to 0.0.0.0 and then set the
metric higher for the least preferred route, then if the lowest cost route
was unavailable the other one would get used.

Alternatively I'm sure you could probably do something clever with NAT and
routing to get both in use at the same time, but you'd have to do some
reading up to find out if this was possible. You could then use both,
potentially filtering traffic down the preferred routes (for example game
traffic to your mate also on cable via the cable route and UKHA traffic via
the DSL line and so on...)

I did contemplate having ADSL as well, but can't really justify the expense
of NTL & BT for "playing about" (well that's what SWMBO
thinks of it anyway
!)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IBOolB/TM