Re: [OT?]

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT?]
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:52:51 -0000

Keith,

The PC's on-board BIOS is used to see the drive that's needed to
boot...

After that, what happens depends on the operating system.

Windows 2000 and later can, at that point, start interrogating other
controllers, even if they aren't visible to BIOS/POST, and load
appropriate drivers to address them directly.

Ditto Linux.

Windows 98 can be made to cludge this, but only in certain
circumstances, and sometimes requiring third party applets, and is
far more dependant on the PC's BIOS.

You won't be able to see more on your system drive... but it does
provide a way to allow much bigger cards on an separate ATA-
controller, such as the one that Phil suggests. Indeed, it's a very
common way of adding big drives to old PCs... I've done it various
times in the past when drive technology has advanced but my older PCs
still ran what I needed them to... in fact, my MP3 server does
exactly this to this day, though its BIOS has NO CHANCE of
recognising the disk that actually stores them.

Regards,

Mark