Re: [OT] Hard Drive Failure - data recovery

In article <2616029.1064324565550.JavaMail.root@xxxxxxx>,
wrote:
> You can be sure that my back up & disaster recovery routine will
now be put
into full practice rather than simply dismissing it  curtly because
"it's never
happened to me yet mate!".

I can recommend DriveSnapshot (www.drivesnapshot.com)  It's been written by
smart German guy and he does all the support himself. The whole think is a
124k
exe that works on DOS or Windows.

It works on NT/XP systems and makes snapshots of your whole drive. It only
backs-up used bits, it does compression, and it now does encryption. The
snapshot is put in to a lot of files (you choose size and location) and I
put
these on either a network share on a server or on a USB2 portable HD.

It runs *very* quickly, you can use your machine as it runs, and you know
you'll get everything. The really smart bit is that you can mount a
snapshot as
a drive letter and pull back anything/everything off the snapshot, or just
convince yourself the backup was good.

It's a different approach to most backup software (more like what is used
for
servers) but I find it ideal for my notebook.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire