Re: Thanks - was Failed hard disk recovery - Help

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Thanks - was Failed hard disk recovery - Help
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:13:35 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, pwootton@c... wrote:
> You should read this months PCPRO.  Steve Cassidy has an article
about raiding -

> that basically (and as far as I can tell) reasonably; rubbished
raid 1.   He
> says that in all his years of consultancy he's never  come across
a raid 1
> system that allowed the user to recover data after a failure of 1
drive.

Err - the whole idea of raid 1 is you dont need to recover data; a
system with raid 1 disks will continue to operate through the
failure.

Raid 1 systems that support hot swap (almost all SCSC / FCAL and
some of the modern IDEs) alow you to replace the failed disk, and
then they should allow you to remirror without interruption.

Certainly it works this way with NT, solaris and netware.

However, I can confirm that if you remove not the failed disk but
the mirror of the failed disk, it all does become a bit messy....
80% of system failures are due to administrative errors (source -
Sun)