Re: Home intercom newbie question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Home intercom newbie question
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:57:09 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Derek Erb" <dce42@y...> wrote:
> More important than all of this telecomms stuff for me, as it
> is an absolute requirement (home insurance company) and not
> a dream, is an alarm system.  What I need is motion detectors
> which can set off the alarm.  What I want is motion detectors
> that can also be programmed for the lights and smoke detectors
> of course...

The use of the term "home insurance company" overrides a lot of
ideas that you'll here on this list.  If the insurance company
require an alarm, then that means a professional installation by a
recognised company in compliance with standards.  It may even mean a
monitored system.  All very expensive.

Thus you need to contract someone to do this for you.

As you are in the UKHA group, you'll probably wanty more than just
an alarm, you'll want home automation.  Thus you'll want to
influence your installer (or maybe even select your installer) by
choice of panel.

The obvious panel choice is the Comfort panel, which has HA
capability, but as this is an installed system you wont be able to
alter the programming yourself.  Unless Comfort have managed to
separate alarm and automation programming, any Comfort experts?

The other choice is an alarm panel which outputs data in real time,
of which there is a very short list - Ademco Galaxy.