Re: Failed hard disk recovery - Help

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@a...> wrote:

> WOOOOAHHHH! Yes, that can well work and is well worth a try but if
you do do
> that then make sure that you put the drive into a bag first.
>
> Taking a really cold drive out of a fridge can result in
condensation
> forming on the drive and controlling electronics *VERY* quickly and
the last
> thing that you want to do is cause more damage. If you chill your
drive in
> this way then chuck it in a freezer bag first and ty-rap the
opening before
> putting it in, then when you take it out, leave it in teh bag as
you connect
> it and power it up - then any condensation will hopefully form on
the
> outside of the bag rather than on the drive.
>
> I was also talking to a friend Wednesday evening who had a similar
problem
> and he pulled a piece of software (which I believe he had to
register for
> about $50) from Tucows so that might be worth a look (given the
fault that
> you have described there I don't think the fridge solution will
work but
> it's certainly worth a try as it's free).

Funnily enough this came up on another list just a few days ago.

Someone recommended a package called EZRecovery as being a good one
for recovering data, and the "chilling" idea was also mentioned,
although it was to use the freezer rather than just a fridge, to get
the drive really cold.

The other method, which depends on whether it's the physical drive
that's damaged, or the electronics, is to get another drive of the
same type (possibly cheap off eBay) and swap the controller boards.
These are actually very easy to swap over with only a couple of
connectors.

David P.