RE: GPS and Laptop

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: GPS and Laptop
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:40:11 +0100

> I need a gps navigation solution for my laptop so I can use it in the
car.

> any recommendations ?

I have used the Garmin eTrex unit (a small hand held GPS device about ?130)
with serial/power cable (about ?30) and Autoroute 2001 / 2002 / 2003,
Infomap Navigator or Route 66 ... all work well on my PIII 500 lappy.

(Another useful side advantage of the hand held units is in a strange town
you can use it to find your way back to where you've parked your car - I've
done this in Glasgow on a few occasions!)

Autoroute is probably the easiest of the software products to use, Route 66
gives more information when you are driving (but isn't as easy to use when
you are generating a route or searching for places) and InfoMap Navigator
actually makes a decent stab at doing voice instructions whilst you are
driving.

A few people on the list have seen these setups working - Mark Harrison
bought an eTrex after playing with mine - and Quinten (not sure whether
he's
on here now or whether he's just on IRC) had it for a few months on loan
>from
head unit with sat nav).

I would loan you it to have a play with but I'm afraid it's off with
someone
else now! :-)

Phil Harris

LetsAutomate - The UK's Premier On-Line Home Automation Store

www.letsautomate.com

Email : phil@xxxxxxx
Tel : 0871 871 8885
Fax : 0871 871 8886