Home intercom newbie question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Home intercom newbie question
  • From: "Howard Kew" <hkew@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:21:54 -0500

Hello out there!

I'm a newbie who as been reading up for a while having moved into a new
house that needs a re-wire.

A specific question I'd appreciate some help is on intercoms and door
bells.

My house is over 4 storeys and I would like an intercom system that can
allow the family to talk over the floors and to talk to the front door (but
not needing to open it), or at least to know its ringing. Plus, we have an
outdoor patio where we need to be able to know someone is at the front door
(ideally an outdoor node for the system?) - its not within normal hearing
distance.

I've looked at Comfort - that seems to do it but I don't need a new alarm
system so its cost prohibitive for the additional functionality I want.

DECT phones would do the internal bit, but how to link up with a doorbell?
Also, my brood would lose wireless DECT phones all over the place.

Any ideas gratefully received - obviously if its a wired solution I'd want
to spec it into the big job in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers

HK

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers