RE: Hard Drive Orientation in a Car [LONG POST]

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Hard Drive Orientation in a Car [LONG POST]
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:16:30 +0100

> From: Steven Edgar [mailto:yahoogroups@xxxxxxx]
>

> The steady state of around 40 degrees they seem to be fine.
>
> On the other hard a load of 200Gb Maxtor IDE drives started
> to fail when they got over 40 degrees C.
>
> So, in a car in all but the hottest summers day in this
> country shouldn't be an issue, assuming you aren't leaving
> them running whilst the car is parked up and baking under the
> sun.

Definately wont be left running when the car is parked up as I would like
have some charge left in the battery so that I can start the car for the
journey home.

As to the temperature, there is other stuff in the car far more susceptable
to heat...namely me !

I start to suffer when the temperature goes above 24C, go into panic mode
when the temperature goes above 28C, and start looking for the nearest cold
store, server room or other air conditioned hideaway once it hits 30C.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv