RE: Baby's first PC

Quoting Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx>:
> > Am thinking minitx, but don't know if the fanless boards are up
> > to the task of
> > playing back DVD's - or perhaps DivX vids streamed off the
network.
> > Any thoughts peep?
>
> I've been looking at this the last few days and for DVD playback you
really
> do need the M1000 board ... I haven't tried DIVX decoding on the M1000
yet
> but I believe the processing overhead to be higher than that for DVD.

hmm.... Well I got the M1000 and bunged it in the redhat box I built
(wanted
higher processor power, not the mpeg decoding) so I _could_ get a lesser
one
and swap around if need be - though redhat would probably have several
generations of kittens if I swapped out the mobo :(

The M1000 is not fanless unfortunately - I would prefer NO noise if poss.

I'm not sure I will even bother with the DVD/DivX playback on this machine,
but
certainly nice to have _both_ options

decisions decisions :(

T.