RE: Wireless LANs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless LANs
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:08:23 +0100

All,

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I decided to go with 802.11b gear as
it's been out for a while and you've found it reliable. So, a Linksys WAP11
and a couple of Orinoco cards later I'm un-wired & war-walking. Even
got the Fuji configured after some fun & games.

However, I still have a bit of a problem. I bought Orinoco Golds, one
complete with PCI adaptor, and this is branded Orinoco. I've got no
problems with this, however, I do have serious trouble with the PCMCIA-only
card. It's a Proxim brand, which is supposedly based on the Lucent chipset
? Advertised as suitable for Win 95 through XP, the only OS I can get it to
run on is Win98-SE (not tried NT though). I'm using the latest drivers etc.
The vendor even tells me it won't work on Win 98 or higher and I need a
Classic Gold instead. Hrumph.

Anyone else experienced similar problems ?

Thanks,

Tim H.

+