RE: [OT] Tivo

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Tivo
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:49:38 +0100

> > Before this causes anyone to panic about their RH account,
> a request
> > has been sent to the RBL in question to remove the entry,
> and the ISP
> > has removed the offending IP address.
>
> I have just checked and the entry in Spamhaus has indeed been removed.
>
> > I'll not comments on policy about rejecting e-mail's.
>
> You sound as if you disagree with these spam rejection
> defensive measures or at least have reservations about them.
> Over 60% of all e-mails received per month by our servers are
> spam (that is around 100,000 spam) and the problem is getting
> worst. Combating the increasing tide of spam aggressively is
> our way of keeping the problem manageable. This includes the
> sensible use of spam blacklists, SMTP rules and secondary
> defenses such as SpamAssassin.
>
> In fact, I know of at least one major ISP (eg. AOL UK) who
> are blocking all incoming SMTP IP addresses unless they are
> recognised official ISP e-mail servers or individually added
> to their "whitelist".

This makes it a real pain as you can't even email the abuse address when
you
get spammed by an AOL user :-(

OK I know I need to get off my butt and configure my SMTP server to relay
via my ISP !

I guess more and more systems will start to reject email as the SPAM
situation gets worse, this is in effect simply just another layer in the
corporate firewall now, but at an application level rather than a purely
network level.