Re: Good AV Reciever with RS232?

Just got one of these from http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/
for £579,
which was the best price I found (same company as www.nexnix.co.uk and
good prices on plasmas too). I'm very happy with it, although I don't
know if I could tell the difference from another equivalently-priced
receiver.

>from
but the new Denon DVD-2900 is a better DVD player than the equivalent
Pioneer (DV-757ai) and there isn't much in it between the Denon and
Pioneer receivers, so I figured it was better to stick with one make
than mix and match. Plus, the shootandshow prices for Denon were way
better than any prices I found for the Pioneer DV-757ai and VSX-D2011.
But I guess you wouldn't be too far out with either combination.

Cheers,

Bruno

Chris McGookin wrote:
> Jeremy,
>

> I’ve got a Denon 3803 which is a 2 zone 7.1 system with a
fairly good
> and useable RS232 protocol. I have it sitting in node 0, not rack
> mounted. Much of the circuitry comes from their older higher end
models
> so the spec is fairly good.
>
> I did take some time looking as I’d tried IR control of another
Denon in
> node 0, but the lack of feedback as to what was going on pushed me to
> buy this.
>
> There are certain specific features on the RS232 which I liked, such
as
> the ability to select a different audio source from the video (i.e.
> listen to CD whilst viewing TV). Even if you control the amp via IR or
> the front panel any changes are sent to the RS232 port. I use this to
> create a true closed loop system with ACE.
>
> Another interesting feature is that it will up convert from composite
or
> S-video to component (or just to s-video if that’s what your
monitor
> uses)
>
> It’s a bit below your price range at around £600, but
there are higher
> models such as the 5803 if you want to spend…
>
> RS232 protocol seems to be the same on them all.
>
> Spec wise, it has Dolby Digital II, DTS Neo:6, etc
>
> The second zone is composite video and stereo only, you can use 2 of
the
> 7.1 channels to power speakers directly for zone 2 or feed another amp
> from the zone 2 pre amp out.
>
> For audio it has a ‘pure direct’ mode which switches off
the VFD and
> digital processing, etc…it also lets you choose between two
different
> sets of front speakers for audio/ AV. As for quality, I like the
noises
> it makes for both audio and AV.
>

> And of course it has lots, lots and lots of connections!...
>

> I know that quite a lot of manufacturers release their new Dolby
Digital
> IIx capable equipment at CEDIA, I know one of these is Arcam but
don’t
> know details.
>

> PM me if you have any other questions on the Denon..
>

> Chris

bi-wire