detecting water

Just home from a week away with SWMBO and a bit of a disaster. Washing
machine sprung a leak when used by the eldest but he didn't notice & we
now have lots of wet ceilings (its an upside down house so living rooms and
utility are upstairs) and carpets.

Hopefully insurance will sort it out but I need to make sure that it
doesn't happen again. Will be putting a new flooring down to contain any
future leaks but it would be good to be able to detect any water on the
floor and raise an alarm and turn off the machine (also need to do same for
the dishwasher).

Have got lots of x10 bits & homeseer so turning off machine should not
be a problem but I need a reliable method of detecting water.

Anyone help??

John