RE: Your Opinions please

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Your Opinions please
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:45:28 +0100

Just a comment here...

xAP ( and therefore xPL ) were both created as a way of controlling
and exchanging information between disparate devices typically found in a
Home automation scenario. A sort of glue that holds everything together. In
order to make this as easy (and understandable) as possible we used human
readable messages, and ensured every device could hear every other device.
This has a huge benefit in naming and displaying values - for example 50%
shows as 50% not say x80 and a volume control shows as 'Volume'. We used
English text as our common denominator such that messages became non
proprietary and were not encoded. This also means that configuration and
linking one device to another becomes very understandable to the end user.
However English is not compact or efficient space wise. We could
have called xap-header x-h or target t but it would have detracted from the
readability. Certainly when used on slow links (300 baud say) xAP - and xPL
would be the wrong choice for the message size reason and the fact that
they
are broadcast protocols in nature. True, xPL messages are a little smaller
but they do not provide the orders of magnitude changes that would make the
protocol suitable for slower links. In these applications only bit stuffed,
encoded and proprietary protocols cut the mustard. This is essentially what
most 'efficient' protocols choose to do and why we have the very problem
that xAP is there to solve as it creates the scenario where no device can
talk to another manufacturers without having specific support being coded
in. :-(
I think it's fair to say that xAP therefore does require an overhead
in message size that pushes it's need up the scale for a standard serial
link - certainly if the link provides your whole network and therefore
broadcast data is on the same wire. Typically a xAP router / bridge may
restrict broadcast traffic though and low power devices may be implemented
to handle minimal data traffic. Off the top of my head I am guessing 2400
or
possibly 9600 would be advised.
However speed on interconnects is ever increasing - not because
RS232 is improving but because different transports are becoming
commonplace
at attractive costs, wired Ethernet or radio based 802.11 as an example.
xAP
is network agnostic and can be implemented on any physical layer. In a HA
environment lots of usage will probably be made of Ethernet and as a packet
size of some 1500 bytes is incurred then both xAP and xPL sit really nicely
here. One of the beauties of a xAP message is that it can transfer any form
of data that a device might provide like text or - even pictures - however
it is by no means suitable or intended as a streaming protocol for large
bandwidth data . It is a control/status mechanism in intent but supports
text information nicely - as in the various weather, news, callerID and On
screen display applications.

Kevin

PS	This is not the forum for a xAP vs xPL debate but I do just need to
pick up on the (factually incorrect) comment you made John that xAP does
not
support Targeting of messages . xAP introduced this (v1.2) before xPL ever
existed and the way that targeting and broadcast works within both xPL and
xAP is essentially the same. xAP has an added level of wildcard based
filtering on long address hierarchies that xPL has chosen to simplify to
reduce address lengths. xPL is fundamentally broadcast as is xAP - it needs
to be to support the 'boardroom' type analogy where everyone can hear
everyone else although typically conversations can also happen between
individuals.
True however is that xPL identifies it's message intent within the
first few bytes, whereas within xAP you have to wait for the class header
arriving a few bytes later. However no other message can overlap so your
parsing routine still has to run to watch for new messages, any time saving
is minimal.

which doesn't