Re: Condensing boilers & microbore pipe

Firstly this is a white paper, its stance in terms of legislation is nil.
It is
a a positional paper which is a precuror to debate in the House normally
prior
to a change in legislation.

Secondly you really need to read the white paper, this is the governments
vision and quite frankly, like most of the drivel that comes out of
whitehall
these days, they are living in la la land.

"We will also use the regulations further to
raise the standard required for new and
replacement boilers to the level of the most
efficient boiler types - A and B rated
condensing boilers. Over 1 million boilers,
heating and hot water systems are replaced
each year, and we believe around 5 million
condensing boilers need to be installed by
2010."

It does NOT say that you will have to use condensing boilers it says that
boilers will have to meet the efficiency standards of A & B rated
condensing
boilers. Which is nonsence as the only way to make condensing boilers
operate
in condensing mode continually is to undersize them for the development
that
they are installed in so that they continually run in condensing mode,
otherwise they will only run in condensing mode for 10 - 15pct of the time.

It also talks about ....

by 2020, a further 4-6MtC of annual
savings can come from households.
This will require further uptake and
development of insulation, including in
homes that current technologies cannot
tackle cost effectively, such as the 7
million homes with solid walls. Building
standards, heating systems, lighting and
appliances must continue to improve, in
some cases through technologies yet to
reach the market, such as LED6 lighting.
We will need more innovative
developments, which combine energy
efficiency with measures such as micro
CHP, small-scale renewable heat such as
solar water heating, or renewable power
such as solar electricity;

How many houses in the UK currently have micro CHP intalled......
exactly 0. How many micro CHP plants are forcast to be installed within the
next ten years ??... less than one thousand, these things cost thousands of
pounds and their payback is about 40 years !

Current Building Regs, Part L state that all new and replacement boilers
(gas)
must have an efficiency of 78%, There has been no consultation from the
government on changing these standards so I would take it that Mrs Beckett
is
expressing opinion and not fact

Simon

Quoting Stuart Poulton <stuart.poulton@xxxxxxx>:

> > But what about this rule saying boilers have to be condensing?
Heard
> anything
> > about that?
>
> >From
> http://www.plumbingpages.com/newspages/newsshowarticle.cfm?ArticleID=149
>
> "From April 2005 all new and replacement domestic heating
installations will
> be using high efficiency condensing boilers ˇonly˘ according to the
Secretary