Long run for DVI on HTPC

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Long run for DVI on HTPC
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:00:47 -0000

I am considering building an HTPC / video server for connection
primarily to a large plasma with DVI interface in our basement
family room. The screen would be placed about 6/7 meters away from
the HTPC which would in a large alcove the other side of the
fireplace. I recall reading some posts from users here who were
looking at long-run DVI cable. The general opinion was the 5 meters
is about the maximum run for this type of connection. I wonder if
anyone has tried to extend beyond this 5 meter limit and if so, does
it work?? Are there any devices for extending the distance? Are they
any good? If there is visible signal degradation would it not be
better to go with standard VGA analog connectio? While on the
subject, does anyone know if a length limitation applies to
component cables? I would also like to wire a component output from
the AV receiver to the Plasma in case the HTPC goes down!!
The setup I am considering would use the SweetSpot caputre card(as
seen on UK HA site), the Sigma MPEG card and a good Radeon card. If
can get away with the long DVI connection, then pc noise will not be
an issue and I might build the same pc up to a 2.2 TB video server
for movie and video distribution around the house.
Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

Keyvan R