Fw: Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Fw: Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)
  • From: "paul_watkin" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:50:52 -0000

Gareth,

Don't assume that the garage foundations will need underpinning just=20
because the wall is single skin, Mark H is correct in general that=20
most garages don't have foundations designed to support a second=20
story so underpinning would be necessary, however there are=20
exceptions to this rule (I am in the process of buying one) check=20
with your local building control officer / planning department for=20
details, someone local might already have done a conversion on a=20
similar house in which case you might get some info about structural=20
loads etc from that.

If the foundations are there you may want to look at using structural=20
beams and pilars to support the inner skin of the upper floor rather=20
than build walls from the ground floor up, this will save on the=20
labour costs.

I was warned by the BCO not to go for Timber frame for the second=20
story inner walls as there can be issues with damp on the wall=20
adjoining what used to be the external wall of the house.=20

I am looking at doing an extension of nearly 60sqm and am not being=20
quoted anywhere near the 40K plus you are looking at, although I=20
understand the 75 - 100 per sq ft is finished and decorated cost not=20
the bare shell as I am looking for.

The other factor is I am at the opposite end of the M4 so labour=20
costs are cheaper.

Hope that helps, have you asked this question on the selfbuild=20
forum?? they may have some other ideas

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gareth Cook <g@u...> wrote:
> The house garage will need underpinning - it has single skin=20
brickwork. i=20
> think I seriously underestimated the cost of the extension,=20
especially is=20
> it was just a shell and no internal fancy walls or shapes.
>=20
> I would prefer to do much of the interior myself, inc. plastering,=20
wiring,=20
> plumbing, etc etc. So cost is just for a waterproof shell ready to=20
go.=20
> Mebe I'll have to put my plans on hold for a cinema, or pull out of=20
the=20
> sale of the house. Still need funds to flood wire :-)
>=20
> So, 43sq/m seems to be about =A343000 - I presume + vat.
>=20
> G.
>=20
>  Gareth Cook
>  SWG EMEA North Account Manager
>  IBM SWG - BTE Office - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
>  Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
>  AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@g...
>  email: g@xxxxxxx
>=20
>=20=20
> ----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 26/11/2003 22:53 -----
>=20
> Discussion
> Main Topic
>=20
> "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@a...>
> Today 22:16
>=20
> .
> Subject:
> .
> [ukha_d] Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)
> .
> Category:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Gareth,
>=20
> Ball park of =A375-100/sq.ft. feel reasonable. The costs basically=20
> depend on location (yup - London has expensive builders) and=20
> specification (and I don't see you going for the "bargain
bucket".)
>=20
> The key issue on cost in this case will be the existing=20
construction=20
> of the garage. If it's double-skinned (block inner, brick outer),=20
> then you may be lucky and discover the foundations are already=20
built=20
> to a specification that would support a residential second floor.)=20
If=20
wrote:
> > I would agree with Neil's builder, a 'ball park' figure for a=20
> residential standard fit out (Nothing fancy mind!) would hit our=20
> budgeting systems at =A375 sq ft.
> > Most builders still work in ft! Commercial property market
seems=20
to=20
> work on nothing else!
> > You will get regional variations though, especially in the SE.=20
> > I know of plasterers earning =A3400+ a DAY for site work in=20
> London.....Hmmm now where was that post on a plastering=20
> course.........:-)
> >=20
> > Rob
> >=20