Re: Cat5 pairs, RS232 and power

Pass on the best way to wire but I think I remember a while back Keith
worked out that a single pair of Cat5 wires carrying both +ve and -ve
would carry up to about 250 - 300ma safely. I remember this as my water
valves draw 230ma so I could get 7 of them on one cat5 cable as long as
they were only on one at a time. Best check the maths rather than rely on
my sketchy memory though. If you are using two pairs then no problems.
Don't forget distance has a bearing on the current calculation.

I _think_ because the power is DC the winding sequence on the pairs may be
irrelevant but I could also be completely wrong ;-))

Ian

"Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
27/11/2003 13:02
Please respond to ukha_d