Fw: Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Fw: Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:57:27 +0000

The house garage will need underpinning - it has single skin brickwork.
i=20
think I seriously underestimated the cost of the extension, especially
is=20
it was just a shell and no internal fancy walls or shapes.

I would prefer to do much of the interior myself, inc. plastering, wiring,=
=20
plumbing, etc etc. So cost is just for a waterproof shell ready to go.=20
Mebe I'll have to put my plans on hold for a cinema, or pull out of the=20
sale of the house. Still need funds to flood wire :-)

So, 43sq/m seems to be about =A343000 - I presume + vat.

G.

Gareth Cook
SWG EMEA North Account Manager
IBM SWG - BTE Office - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
email: g@xxxxxxx

=20
----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 26/11/2003 22:53 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

"mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
Today 22:16

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)
.
Category:

Gareth,

Ball park of =A375-100/sq.ft. feel reasonable. The costs basically=20
depend on location (yup - London has expensive builders) and=20
specification (and I don't see you going for the "bargain
bucket".)

The key issue on cost in this case will be the existing construction=20
of the garage. If it's double-skinned (block inner, brick outer),=20
then you may be lucky and discover the foundations are already built=20
to a specification that would support a residential second floor.) If=20
it's single-skinned, as many attached garages are, then you may well=20
need to replace/underpin foundations, and may also have to build up a=20
second wall skin at ground-floor level before you get to the first=20
floor.)

Handy tip - where you are then LABOUR costs are going to dominate far=20
more than in some parts of the country. As such, it may be worth=20
looking at the more "expensive materials, fast-to-fit building=20
technologies".

Oh - and quick rule of thumb =3D 1 sq. m is rougly 10 sq. ft. (It's=20
actually about 10.6 sq ft but that's less of a rounding error than=20
loss to internal wall thicknesses and the like.)

Mark,
5 years at Mott MacDonald then 3 at Bovis... just don't ask me to do=20
DIY :-)

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@t...> wrote:
> I would agree with Neil's builder, a 'ball park' figure for a=20
residential standard fit out (Nothing fancy mind!) would hit our=20
budgeting systems at =A375 sq ft.
> Most builders still work in ft! Commercial property market seems to=20
work on nothing else!
> You will get regional variations though, especially in the SE.=20
> I know of plasterers earning =A3400+ a DAY for site work in=20
London.....Hmmm now where was that post on a plastering=20
>=20
> Rob
>=20

offer=20