RE: Webpads - Any ideas?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Webpads - Any ideas?
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:25:44 -0000

The most recent tablet PC's are much lighter and slimmer than most of the
w=
eb pads I've seen. Based on Centrino, they're pretty good. I've used the
RM=
tablet - it's excellent and very sexy looking (oh- but I used to work for =
RM!).

http://www.rm.com/HE/Products/Product.asp?cref=3DPD161497&catref=3D187.4.2.=
23

They mainly sell into education but I believe they're now selling Tablet
PC=
's through PC World Business. There aren't many like it from other
manufact=
urers currently. Is a lot more expensive than you want though at around
=A3=
1000.

Paul.

doin=
> exactly what you say, Browsing and email collection.
>=20
> OK, it's a little clunky, runs an outdated OS (I believe some have
update=
> to Win2k and there is plenty on the forums about doing so.) gets a
little
> warm, is a little heavy. But the touch screen is great (Way better
than
> the active one on my Compaq Tablet.) and for browsing and email, I
like
> it.
>=20
> Just my 2p worth. HTH.
>=20
> Many thanks
>=20
> Rob Mouser
>=20
>=20
>=20
lighter=
,
> cooler and quieter.  I've also looked at Smart Devices (Viewsonic
VT110
> etc), but they seam to me to be hideously overpriced for something
which
> is,
> especially, just a dump terminal.
>=20
> Ideally, what I want is a iPAQ running CE and with a touch sensitive
> screen
> between 10 and 15" running at either 800 by 600 or 1024 by 768.
>=20
> I don't need it to synchronize with a PC, but it would need to have
eithe=
> .11b or .11g (or, maybe a PCMCIA slot, but I'd rather wi-fi built-in).
> Software-wise, it just needs a (preferably frames allowable) web
browser,
> and an email client (if it also had a usenet client that would be an
adde=