Re: Network MP3 and then Multi-room Distribution

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Network MP3 and then Multi-room Distribution
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:43:00 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Alancc" <alan.cc@n...> wrote:
> So if you have 3 MC9 sources, the DAB receiver and Sony CDs, how=20
do you get
> these into 4 inputs.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer: Only two of the MC9 outputs=20
(analogs) got through the systemline. I have the 3rd one (which is=20
Digital Toslink, feeding the one of the inputs on my BIG Pioneer VSA-
AX10i-S which is in the basement HT room. The new version 4.4=20
Sytemline lets you do a kind of sustitution (by remote IR/Serial)=20
whereby 2 inputs can share a source between 2 devices when one of=20
them is switched off. Again, I can control which source is active on=20
any input by slinke IR commands generated my MainLobby.

> Why did you keep the Sony CDs if you have the lot ripped.

I was (still am!!) thinking about getting a high quality stereo only=20
setup and use the cd changers to get the digital out to a MSB Tech.=20
outboard D/A converter and then to a good amp/speakers for CD only=20
listenting. I will move the CD changers off the whole-house system=20
at that point.
> This is the dilemma I have at the moment, leave the two 300 CD=20
players as my
> source which currently distributes through an Arcam MARC system 5=20
in 7 out
> along with the DAB etc, or rip the lot. The only benefit I can see=20
would be
> the ability to play different track in each zone, not something I=20
would need
> to do.
There are other benefits of a HD jukebox, I like the xfade and=20
instant play it gives over the cd changers.
> How well does Music Lobby work with the slinke and controlling the=20
Sonys, I
> have mine working with CDJ at the moment which is not ideal.

You will still need CDJ - but only running in background on the=20
slinke connected pc. MusicLobby acts as a client to a small program=20
called velocity server, which uses cdj to manage the cd changers. It=20
all works very well for me. It lets me control CDJ with a very nice=20
front end from multiple clients, and no need for DCOM.=20

My setup is mostly "touch-screen" based (wired and wireless)
and=20
this gives me the kind of look and ease of use I want for my music=20
selection and device management. I also really like the PPC wireless=20
PDA front end. Gives you a lot of options on how and where you can=20
access the system without a huge outlay. IMO this setup is much=20
better and waaay cheaper than Crestron and AMX solutions which are=20
the only other setups that compare with this. Each AMX 15" touch=20
screen is =A37000, =A34000 for a 7" !! at this rate I would have
spent=20
over =A350,000 for an AMX version, and locked into a proprietry system.
My CTX 15" touch display only cost =A3345, my 10" airpanels are
=A3800=20
each. You can get Toshiba 740's with WiFi on ebay for under =A3200=20
each...
There is the whole house DVD over LAN thing for high quality DVD=20
playback and a few other things which make the Cinemar stuff very=20
attractive to me.

Keyvan R