RE: Re: In Car Video/PC's

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: In Car Video/PC's
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:15:23 -0000

I used to have a Clifford SmartStart (remote starting) fitted to my
automatic Senator. It was only supposed to be fitted to automatics, for the
obvious reason that an automatic won't start in gear, but a manual will. It
used a connection to the reversing light circuit to convince itself that
the
vehicle was an automatic, since you have to go through reverse when going
>from
sensing that you'd driven off having been through reverse, it would shut
down and you'd have to send it back to the factory to reset it. Of course,
it became apparent, that this scheme could be fooled fairly easily by
wiring
it to the brake light, instead. Which would allow you to fit it to a
manual.
Unsuprisingly, I heard of an Escort driver at one of the car hi-fi shows
who's vehicle was seen driving itself across the car park, with the
inevitable result.

Steve