From: keyvan2r <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 12:24 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Network MP3 and then Multi-room Distribution

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@n...>
wrote:
> Had a look at the MediaCentre/MusicLobby and it does look very
good
> indeed. It may well be the sort of thing I'm looking for so I'll
have
> a bit more of a look.
>
> Very much agree that selecting source tracks etc is pretty crucial.
>
> One area that I'm not very clear on is the volume / source
switching
> side.  So please excuse a few (perhaps obvious) questions:
>
> - Which components are providing the pre-amplification and (thus)
> volume control-  the sound-cards or the systemline?

The sound card(s) are providing the pre-amp functions and low-level
outputs. On most of the multi-channel (6ch) soundcards will let you
configure the extra (rear L+R and C+sub)will let you config as extra
zones. I prefer multi-sound cards. You can even set the DSP
(equalisers, etc) independantly for each zone / card.

> - How do you control the volume, is this also done via MusicLobby?

Yes MusicLobby client handles volume, mute, transport and all
library, playlist navigation stuff very well indeed. it also does
the zone switching. One thing to bear in mind: when you switch zones
on one musiclobby client, the display on ALL clients change to show
that zone. This is a MC9 limitation and will be fixed soon. You can
also design your own mainlobby scene / buttons which sends commands
to MC9 via MLserver to do everything, and I mean almost everything,
IR, Homeseer, Serial, to name but a few. I have a scene with
playlist buttons that give me "one-touch" load-n-play playlists -
feature everyone really likes. Once you get used to it, you will
feel all other music management systems are old and klunky. Then you
have the whole PDA /WiFi control thing which is really cool. All
with glorious cover art and slick buttons.

> - What soundcards do you use/recommend? (guess I'd be looking for
> a 'hi-fi' quality stereo card, all the latest/best/most costly
seem
> to be 5.1 type).
I am very happy with the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (around £65) very
good analog and digital output. I also have an old Audigy and a
SBLive, they all work fine. I would go for good cards with good SNR
(96 db or better). It also depends if you ripped your cd's to a
lower bit-rate say 320Kbps MP3 or lower, then you will not notice
the quality and resolution of the expensive cards. I keep my stuff
on lossless(ape) format. It's all subjective, but most modern cards
over £35 should be fine.

> - Do you have other sources in your setup (really thinking about
> radio here). If so how do you switch source in a zone etc?

Yes I do have 2 other sources feeding the systemline. One is a DAB
tuner with presets which I switch by commands from any MainLobby
scene on a touch panel, and the other is 2 x sony 400 CD changers
(again being controled by MusicLobby and velocity server). The
source switching is done on wall keypads wired back (cat5) to the
systemline.
But there many ways to handle source switching without systemline.
For example you could use an IR transmiter or RS232 controlled
matrix box at node 0 and have MLserver select your sources via
command buttons on your MusicLobby/MainLobby scenes.
I use a slinke for my IR, but you could use anything including
Girder for which there is MLserver plugin. Many IR products are
supported either directly or via girder.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more if you need to

Keyvan R