Re: Network MP3 and then Multi-room Distribution

Had a look at the MediaCentre/MusicLobby and it does look very good
indeed. It may well be the sort of thing I'm looking for so I'll have
a bit more of a look.

Very much agree that selecting source tracks etc is pretty crucial.

One area that I'm not very clear on is the volume / source switching
side.  So please excuse a few (perhaps obvious) questions:

- Which components are providing the pre-amplification and (thus)
volume control-  the sound-cards or the systemline?

- How do you control the volume, is this also done via MusicLobby?

- What soundcards do you use/recommend? (guess I'd be looking for
a 'hi-fi' quality stereo card, all the latest/best/most costly seem
to be 5.1 type).

- Do you have other sources in your setup (really thinking about
radio here). If so how do you switch source in a zone etc?

many thanks

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "keyvan2r" <keyvan@e...> wrote:
> I have a Systemline audio distribution system with 4 zones and 4
> inputs. 2 of the zones have sub-zones (listening areas which play
> the same source as their Master zone but gives you volume control).
> My problem was mostly to do with easy source material selection.
> I now have all my cd collection ripped to a server (around 8000
> tracks). I use MediaCenter 9.1 with 3 sound cards (defined as
> seperate zones in MC9) feeding 3 of the SystemLine source inputs.
> Some of the zones are locally amplified (using the 6 channel Rotel
> amps). I then use MusicLobby and ML server from Cinemar to control
> the different output on 3 zones. I have it running on a Progear,
10"
> airpanel and 15" touch display on a networked pc. It all works
very
> well for me. The server and client side have proved very reliable
> and it is all fairly "unbreakable".
> It is better than the imerge stuff IMHO and cheaper too. The touch
> panels are a joy to use, and MusicLobby gives a stunning looking
> display with great cover art and thumbnails display. I also have
> MusicLobby for PPC with a couple of wifi enabled Toshiba 740's
which
> work the same way as the pc based clients. There is no zone
> switching on the ppc version, but it is scheduled for the next
> release.
> Have a look at the Cinemar stuff, you may like it.
>
> Keyvan
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings"
> <nigel.giddings@u...> wrote:
> > Richard,
> >
> > I too am looking at different multi room options and bought an
> > exstreamer for evaluation. Great little box which does exactly
> what it
> > says it does... I do feel there advantages to having dedicated
H/W,
> > especially when compared with loading everything on a Windows PC.
> >
> > Having said that I was able to control the exstreamer via a web
> > interface, Ipaq (wireless) and desktop PCs and also via a
Pronto...