Parallel 240V and cat5/coax

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Parallel 240V and cat5/coax
  • From: "ukcueman" <ukcueman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:39:11 -0000

I have a 4 inch duct going out to my garage. Inside that are separate
ducts for other services - water, electricity, coax and cat5. To get
the most cable in, I may also end up with some loose cat5 as well -
ie only inside the 4 inch duct.

This will be a run of about 40 feet where everything will be running
parallel - no crossing at 90 degrees here - with cat5/coax and 240V
physically separated by a minimum of about half an inch. The coax was
going to be for security cameras that would be located on the garage
and looking back at the house and drive.

(1) Is the coax likely to be a bad idea, even with CT125? Should I
stick with cat5 technologies?
(2) Should I use unshielded cat5, trusting in its properties for
avoiding interference, or go to shielded?

(Step up Keith?)

Thanks,
Paul