Re: Network MP3 and then Multi-room Distribution

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Network MP3 and then Multi-room Distribution
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:07:03 -0000

I have a Systemline audio distribution system with 4 zones and 4
inputs. 2 of the zones have sub-zones (listening areas which play
the same source as their Master zone but gives you volume control).
My problem was mostly to do with easy source material selection.
I now have all my cd collection ripped to a server (around 8000
tracks). I use MediaCenter 9.1 with 3 sound cards (defined as
seperate zones in MC9) feeding 3 of the SystemLine source inputs.
Some of the zones are locally amplified (using the 6 channel Rotel
amps). I then use MusicLobby and ML server from Cinemar to control
the different output on 3 zones. I have it running on a Progear, 10"
airpanel and 15" touch display on a networked pc. It all works very
well for me. The server and client side have proved very reliable
and it is all fairly "unbreakable".
It is better than the imerge stuff IMHO and cheaper too. The touch
panels are a joy to use, and MusicLobby gives a stunning looking
display with great cover art and thumbnails display. I also have
MusicLobby for PPC with a couple of wifi enabled Toshiba 740's which
work the same way as the pc based clients. There is no zone
switching on the ppc version, but it is scheduled for the next
release.
Have a look at the Cinemar stuff, you may like it.

Keyvan

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings"
<nigel.giddings@u...> wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I too am looking at different multi room options and bought an
> exstreamer for evaluation. Great little box which does exactly
what it
> says it does... I do feel there advantages to having dedicated H/W,
> especially when compared with loading everything on a Windows PC.
>
> Having said that I was able to control the exstreamer via a web
> interface, Ipaq (wireless) and desktop PCs and also via a Pronto...
>
> I am a big fan of the Pronto and will probably have one in each
room
> eventually for all ir needs, lighting, TV, audio, etc etc.
>
> The way I did this was to send an X10 command from my Pronto to an
IR523