RE: Re: ADSL Modem recommendation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: ADSL Modem recommendation
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:11:46 -0000

> To be honest I don't think this will put me off using it
> since it can be disabled, and if I can get a decent modem.

Well I'm happy with my Belkin stuff and I've never had it hijack any
requests but then again it is just an access point and not a router.

> Phil,
> which modem do you use with your belkin wifi kit ?
> or do you have an 'always on' server that the modem connects to...

My Belkin AP is just a gateway onto my LAN ... internet is handled through
firewall which is *MASSIVELY* over specced for the job - it's a P200 with
64Mb RAM - and a cablemodem.

> The one on ebuyer previously suggested has a built in router, which I
> understand could make setup a bit tricky due to the belkin kit also
> having a router in it.
> I'm not being very clued up on all this stuff, so any advice
> gratefully received.

Can't really advise you there ... I have a NetGear 328 ISDN router
somewhere
but that wasn't a combined WiFi AP as well. TBH I like separating out
functionality ... that way when I upgrade or change something then I only
have to replace one bit! :-D

Phil