RE: Re: ADSL Modem recommendation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: ADSL Modem recommendation
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:56:17 -0000

wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > Take the Belkin back! There have been issues reported
> recently where a
> > firmware upgrade to one of their wireless routers randomly
> hijacked a
> > HTTP request and rerouted it to an unsolicited advert page. This
> > continues every 8 hours unless you explicitly opt-out.
> > Your router may not be susceptible, but to be honest, they don't
> > deserve your custom if they're pulling stunts like that.
>
> Holy sh!t !!!
> Are there any news links or anything about this you are aware of ??
> I think I might do a bit of digging on this before I decide
> to return it.

It was covered extensively on news.admin.net-abuse.email.

The following post was from a guy at Belkin called Eric Deming. When Belkin
realised what he'd admitted to, they pulled the usenet post and the
corresponding posting on google. Fortunately, I and others had a cached
copy
by then......

Note that the guy is (a) admitting that they do it, (b) describing how an
external web page can modify the configuration of the router, and (c)
attempting to justify it!

-------------- Usenet Posting 5/11/2003 -----------------------------
I was made aware of this posting by an e-mail that was sent to
Belkin's tech support e-mail box. Since I am a product manager for
Belkin's LAN products and was very involved with the development of
the Parental Control feature, I feel that I can shed some light on
this subject. Firstly, without trying to sound too stand-offish, we
are not talking about SPAM here. For me to clarify, an understanding
of the Parental Control service will really be needed.

Since Parental Control is a subscription service, Belkin wanted to
make registering for the service very easy. Since the router actually
will work in tandem with an outside server (Cerberian,
www.cerberian.com) registration information needs to be collected and
sent to Belkin and Cerberian to activate an account. Traditional
methods of registration, such as asking the user to go to a website or
navigate to the Router's internal Web page to enter information didn't
meet the ease-of-use goal. We elected to re-direct one http request to
the "Register Now" reminder page. (There is a link in a previous
posting if you want to see it) This page asks the user to register for
the service for a free 6 month trial. Now, granted this looks like an
ad. It should, it is intended to be informative and easy enough to
understand. At this point, the user can register or click "No
Thanks".
Clicking "No Thanks" sets a flag in the Router to stop the Router
from
re-directing every 8 hours to the reminder page. (Again remember, only
one http request every 8 hours). Admittedly, there is no controlling
which computer on the LAN this message will pop up on. If the user
just closes the window without clicking "No Thanks", then the
flag is
never set, and the reminders will continue. Now, if you are the type
that doesn't want to click the "No Thanks" button, then no
problem.
Navigate to the Router's internal web interface (default IP =
192.168.2.1), click on the Parental Control menu. In the Menu, select
"Don't Remind every 8 hours" (This phrase actually varies a bit,
but
you get the idea) then click "Apply Changes". DONE. Nothing to
it. By
the way, this procedure might have to be done if your router is behind
a firewall. Reason: filter.belkin.com sends a response to the Router
to set the flag. Firewalls will block the response. This might explain
the problem in a school for instance.

We did this not to be evil, we did this to make sure that any
non-techy person (part of our target audience) would have ample
opportunity to opt in or out of the free 6 month trial of the Parental
Control feature. The Router doesn't collect information on you and
send it to Belkin. We don't have the ability to SPAM you at a later
time if you select "No Thanks" or turn off the Reminder manually.
know this feature might be misunderstood and might PO some people. I
know the manual could do a better job explaining it. These are all
things that we at Belkin are working to remedy.

Oh, one last bit, when upgrading firmware for the Routers that
originally shipped without the Parental Control feature, the new
firmware has this feature added. This was by popular demand. Our
customer install base began to notice the Parental Control feature on
new models that we are shipping, and wanted a solution for themselves
without having to buy a new product. So, we accommodated them.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any. Thanks!

Steve